This is the first in my series on spray painting patio furniture. Here’s part two.
After I fixed the washstand last night (see here), I woke up this morning and was ready to start painting the patio set.
It was super hot and muggy by 10 am. Some of the regions around us got tornado warnings by the early afternoon.
To be honest, most of the spray painting projects I’ve attempted have failed.
I once tried to spray paint a black curtain rod gold. It turned into a ridiculously drippy mess that I hid in some closet downstairs, too ashamed to get rid of it.
Spray painting an entire patio set seemed like an ambitious goal for a failed spray painter. I went ahead anyway.
Here’s how I prepped:
- Once I’d figured out how to remove the glass from the top, I sanded the rust off the table base. I was surprised to see so much of it.
- I hosed everything down on the lower deck. Everything dried in record time, which was a bonus to my need to do it now mentality.
- Being a big fan of primer (see here too), I started off with a base coat of primer.The paint, like the chairs, dried really quickly.
- Next, I applied one coat of the dark bronze paint let it dry. Then, I tried another coat, and another coat while letting the chair dry in between. I went through both cans on half of a table (not pictured) and one chair. It wasn’t what I had in mind. It reminded me of some silvery-beige plastic lawn chairs we owned in the 90s.
At this point, I wasn’t sure if I wanted to continue with this project. I thought…
- When does one decide that it’s time to stop spending money on a DIY project?
- Would matte or satin make a difference? Maybe it was just the sheen.
- I could get $60 for the set on a classifieds site. I could sell it and… then I would only be saving $60 off of another set.
- I used three cans to cover one chair and most of the table base. I have five more pieces to go. If I do the math, that’s… enough to make me want to buy a new set.
One last thought made me forget about cost and labour for a moment. That is, I have a tendency to start projects and not finish them.
Sidenote: I once taped around the baseboards in the dining room and left it for a month because I blew through my home improvement budget and decided it was something I could live with.
At the store, I got some new cans of paint. I chose to use Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch in granite with a satin finish.
The old bronze coat gave me an advantage in that it was similar to the new colour.
It was exactly what I had in mind. It complemented the siding and new door mat perfectly. I was able to do a full chair and the table base with one can.
Full patio set to be revealed soon.
Part two can be found here!
Note: Rust-Oleum is not an affiliate of this blog.